What Are Insurance Disputes?
Insurance disputes, most often, are when your own insurance company unreasonably denies or delays your insurance benefits. Insurance companies, as your insurer, legally are required to conduct their business in good faith and with fair dealings, but they can try to take advantage of their own insured for their own benefit and delay or deny payment costs that reasonably should be granted.
To be clear, this specifically applies to your own insurance company, not another party’s insurance company’s dealings with you. There are specific rules that insurance companies should follow to protect your best interest, even when it conflicts with their own. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. In these instances, the law is on your side. In the event of a dispute with your insurance company, you are permitted to seek counsel and relief.
Obligations Your Own Insurance Company Has to You
- To act from a position of trust and maintain ethical standards when you make a claim for UM/UIM benefits
- To not put their own interest first but treat their interest and yours equally
- To provide a reason to you for them denying a claim
- To pay benefits when appropriate
- To pay for non-economic damages it caused the plaintiff in its unfair dealings
- To give you updates as to the status of your claim
Should your insurance company fail to meet these obligations to you, by law, an attorney can represent you as your agent in dealings with your insurer.
Most Applicable Laws Outlining Your Rights
Decisions on court rulings in Colorado confirm all that is listed above. However, as clearly as it can be laid out in our state laws, it is in C.R.S. § 10-31-1115 and C.R.S. § 10-31-1116. Here, the laws clearly state:
- “A person engaged in the business of insurance shall not unreasonably delay or deny payment of a claim for benefits owed to or on behalf of any first-party claimant” C.R.S. § 10-35-1115(1)(a)
- “A first-party claimant as defined in section 10-3-1115whose claim for payment of benefits has been unreasonably delayed or denied may bring an action in a district court to recover reasonable attorney fees and court costs and two times the covered benefit.” C.R.S. § 10-35-1116(1)
How We Can Help
At Mansorian Law Group, our experienced attorneys have many years of experience litigating cases dealing with insurance disputes. For this reason, we are familiar with how to support you through this trying time in your life. If you have been treated unfairly by your insurance company, there are enough things on your plate as is. With our assistance, you can focus on your personal recovery and leave your financial recovery to us.
We take the time to individualize the treatment in your case, which helps you net more money at the end of this process.
Additionally, we understand how this type of case functions. We have had success in the past with representing clients with insurance disputes claims and getting them as much money back as possible in their cases. We understand the emotional and physical implications of the aftermath of an event, the current laws that apply, and how to represent this in a settlement or lawsuit so that you may collect as much as possible.
If you would like to discuss the details of your case in a free initial consultation, fill out the form on this page.
Do You Have A Case?
Our free, no obligation, consultation gives you the opportunity to talk to an experienced attorney about your situation and gain insight into the best way to proceed. Fill out the form below to schedule.